Monday, May 4, 2009

Hello from Chilly Chicago

Hi Everyone who is still following my blog,

First let me apologise for not making any further entry into my blog since 17 Feb this year. I am hoping to make up for it now that I have more time here in chilly Chicago with Chris and May Yen and my three adorable grandkids.

I arrived on 20 April just in time to join the Gospel Coalition Pastors conference held at Donald Stephen convention centre located close to O Hare airport. Therefore, I didnt actually leave the airport precints until after the end of the conference on 23 April but stayed at a hotel adjacent to the convention centre. It was going to be too difficult for Chris to drive me to and from the convention centre each of the 3 days of the conference seeing that we start early and ended very late at night. And Chris lived about an hour away from the airport and had only one car that his entire family shared.

The conference was led by my favourite theologian/author, Proff D A Carson - his picture with me was posted on my blog earlier. There were also other outstanding speakers like Ps Tim Keller, author of the best selling book, Reason for God (available at all book stores not only in Christian book stores, and a 'must read'), Ps Mark Driscoll of Mars Hill church (do try to download his Sunday sermons on his church's website, the church is one of the fastest growing churches in USA and attracts mostly young professional adults), and John Piper.

The conference was rather intensive with workshops in the afternoons but was worth attending; it covered expository preaching on 2 Timothy and centred on the importance of being gospel centred in our lives and Christian ministry.

Another highlight of my stay in Chicago thus far has been the 3 hour lecture with Chris in his New Testament class. His lecturer, a lady professor, Dr Harris, was an excellent teacher expounding the book of Hebrews. I plan to go with him again this Wednesday to attend this week's lecture by her i think on the books of 1,2,3 John, Jude and Revelation. This is a real spiritual feast of the bible for me and I am thoroughly savouring this ):

And of course, I am also thoroughly enjoying my grandkids especially Gracie. She is so chatty and clever at speaking that she is both amusing and amazing to be with. Her comprehension skills and responses are quite incredulous for a child who will only turn two in June this year.
She has learnt to also negotiate for 'deals' to get her lollies or icee poles.

The weather in Chicago is still coooold despite it being already April. But the flowers are in full bloom and everywhere even on five foot paths and in the front lawns of homes, you get to see daffodils and tulips of every colour in full bloom..... even in the front lawn of Chris' rented property. It does invoke joy and pleasure to see such beauty, the artistic creativity of our Lord.

I will post my reflections on Numbers and Deuteronomy shortly, pls look out for these. And then next week proceed with Joshua, Judges and Ruth.

To my YA Leaders, a big thank you for keeping the fort for me in my absence. And thank you also to all young adults that are supporting them in the work of His ministry,

Love
A Peggy

1 comment:

  1. Hi Aunty Peggy,

    Glad to see that you're enjoying yourself - a spiritual feast indeed!

    God bless,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete