Thursday, January 15, 2009

My first Lecture at Trinity

This morning, Thursday over here in Chicago (Friday in Melbourne), I attended a lecture at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School (TEDS) for the first time since my arrival on 11 Dec. The semester started only this week and Chris had arranged permission for me to sit into any Masters or Doctoral class of my choice ):

So I made a bee-line to attend Dr D A Carson's class on 'Acts and the Epistles' for postgrad students. It is a 2 hour class attended by some 50 students, mostly male I noticed.

Those of you who have attended my bible study class on the Gospel of John will understand why I made a bee-line for this class. Dr Carson is one of my favourite bible scholars and New Testament theologians. My bible study class is based largely on his 700 page commentary on the Gospel of John and FF Bruce's New Testament History (FF Bruce is another of my favourite bible study authors). I took a photo with him and will get Chris to post this on my blog when I return home at the end of today as I am now heading to another lecture on the Poetic and Prophetic Books by Dr Van Gemeran, one of my favourite authors on the Old Testament.

This lecture will be a 3 hour lecture with only 2 ten minute toilet breaks! Sounds intimidating doesnt? But I have attended these 3 hour lectures at TEDS before ie when Cherie, my daughter, was doing her MA with TEDS six years ago. At that time, I also sought permission to sit into their classes probono and thoroughly enjoyed the high standard and in-depth teaching of their Professors so much that I didnt notice how time flies!

It is so sad that I have to leave TEDS at the end of this month as I will miss the large part of the course given that the semester has just begun. The Summer classes which begin in June are not really my cup of tea - mostly Greek and Greek related subjects - and the Professors that I highly regard like Van Gemeran, D A Carson, Averbeck, Graeme Coles are starting very interesting classes at the start of the NEXT semester which I believe only begins in September. So I am in a dilemna because Chris did not have the subject time-table until recently and I had thus far, planned to be back in Chicago to do the summer modules, not the next semester courses ... sigh.

We'll see ..... I might 'exchange' travel schedules with U Ong and let him come for Summer so that I can come for the September classes. The trouble is that these classes run for 4-5 months and I can probably only stay for a max. of 2 months so I will also miss the full run of the classes .... sigh.

Have to run, lecture is about to start and I am rushing to catch a cuppa in their cafe before joining this very long session of lecture.

Love,
A Peggy
p/s I will post my reflections on the bible reading set for the second week of Jan soon. Keep watch.

1 comment: